1 November 2017

What I've Been Reading: October 2017.


October was a good month for me, book wise. I started off the month by continuing with a series I started in September, then found some absolute gems after that.


"Alexandra Parker came home from the past only to find herself in the middle of an underground war- one that could affect the fate of Variants everywhere. Fighting an all-powerful government agency is tough enough. but when a secret from John Grayson's past comes back to haunt them all, the group's united front begins to crumble. And when Alex's own painful memories threaten to push her past her breaking point, the uprising stands to lose it's most powerful weapon. With their lives and their freedom on the line, can Declan, Nate, and the rest of the Grayson family hold it together long enough to bring down Director Carter and derail Brian's apocalyptic visions? As Alex struggles to master her most volatile ability yet, only one thing is certain: the uprising's cold war with the Agency is about to turn red hot."

This is the fourth book in the variant series, I read the first three at the end of September. I'm so sad I'm up to date with this, now I have to wait for the next installment! Would I recommend this series? Definitely! You can read what I thought about the first three books in last month's post by clicking here.


"What would it take to make you intervene? When Ella Longfield overhears two attractive young men flirting with teenage girls on a train, she thinks nothing of it- until she realises they are fresh out of prison and her maternal instinct is put on high alert. But just as she's decided to call for help, something stops her. The next day, she wakes up to the news that one of the girls- beautiful green-eyed Anna Ballard- has disappeared. A year later, Anna is still missing. Ella is wracked with guilt over what she failed to do, and she's not the only one who can't forget. Someone is sending her threatening letters- letters that make her fear for her life. Then an anniversary appeal reveals that Anna's friends and family might have something to hide. Anna's best friend, Sarah, hasn't been telling the whole truth about what really happened that night- and her parents have been keeping secrets of their own. Someone knows where Anna is- and they're not telling. But they are watching Ella."

This was such a good read. The book switches between different charcter's points of view as well as having flashbacks. I had no idea where this was going to lead but I was satisfied with then ending, even if there wasn't any clues in the lead up to the reveal. This was the first book I've read by Theresa Driscoll and it was a great introduction.



"Charlie Bloom never wanted to be 'with the band.' She's happiest out of the spotlight, behind her camera, unseen and unnoticed. But when she'd asked to take backstage photos for hot new boyband Fire&Lights, she can't pass up the chance. Catapulted into a world of paparazzi and backstage bickering, Charlie soon becomes caught between gorgeous but damaged frontman Gabriel West, and his boy-next-door bandmate Olly Samson. Then, as the boys' rivalry threatens to tear the band apart, Charlie stumbles upon a mind-blowing secret, hidden in the lyrics of their songs..."

This is more aimed at the younger end of the YA spectrum and I probably wouldn't have bought the first book if I'd realised this. But I did buy it, and I got sucked in with the story, so I have no option but to carry on with this series! I prefer the second book to the first and I'll be reading the next book when that comes out too. I'm glad I gave this a chance.


"One of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide. Pay close attention and you might solve this. On Monday afternoon, five students ay Bayview High walk into detention. Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule. Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess. Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing. Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher. And simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app. Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose? Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them."

This has been on my to read list for a while and I wish I'd read it sooner! This was amazing, I could hardly put it down. It's no surprise to me that the rights have been bought and there's talking to turning it into a TV series. If Pretty Little Liars and Gossip Girl had a book baby, this is it. The ending was really satisfying and for the most part, I was shocked at the twists. I guessed Cooper's secret well before that was finally revealed, but that only made Cooper become my favourite character.


"What happens when the trust has gone? Cat Kinsella was always a daddy's girl. Until the summer of 1998 when she sees her father flirting with seventeen-year-old Maryanne Doyle. When Maryanne later disappears and Cat's father denies ever knowing her, Cat's relationship with him is changed forever. Eighteen years later, Cat is now a Detective Constable with the Met. Called to the scene of murder is Islington, she discovers a woman's body: Alice Lapaine has been found strangled, not far from the pub that Cat's father runs. When evidence links Alice to the missing Maryanne, all Cat's fears about her father resurface. Could he really be a killer? Determined to confront the past and find out what really happened to Maryanne all those years ago, Cat begins to dig into the case. But the problem with looking into the past is that sometimes you might not like what you find."

I'm going to be honest here, I didn't enjoy this book. It dragged on for far too long and I had to force myself to finish it. The story seemed overly complicated and Cat wasn't a likable main character. Not for me.


"'You know that feeling? When you want something so badly, you almost feel you'd kill for it?' Be careful what you wish for... Kat and her husband Nick have tried everything to become parents, and are on the verge of giving up. Then a chance encounter with Kat's childhood friend Lisa gives Kat and Nick one last chance to achieve their dream. But Kat and Lisa's history hides dark secrets. And there is more to Lisa than meets the eye. As dangerous cracks start to appear in Kat's perfect picture of happily-ever-after, she realises that she must face her fear of the past to save her family..."

This is the second novel I've read by Louise Jensen and it didn't let me down. I think I preferred The Sister but I enjoyed this too. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but it wasn't this. This book definitely threw me through a loop. The book flips between the past and the present, and the reveal at the end? Oh my god, it was so well done! I love Louise's style of writing, I've already added The Gift to my to read list as I have high expectations of her other work.


"Audrey is over romance. Since her parents' relationship imploded her mother's been catatonic, so she takes a cinema job to get out of the house. But there she meets wannabe film-maker Harry. Nobody expects Audrey and Harry to fall in love as hard and fast as they do. But that doesn't mean things are easy. Because real love isn't like the movies... The greatest love story ever told doesn't feature kissing in the snow or racing to airports. It features pain and confusion and hope and wonder and a ban on cheesy cliches. Oh, and zombies..."

Hands down, my favourite book of the month. Probably one of my favourites of 2017 so far. I could gush on about how amazing this book is for ages. I laughed, I cried, I felt proud of Audrey. There is a scene near the end between Audrey and her mum, I wasn't ready for it at all but it lead up to one of the most satisfying moments in the book for me. Audrey finally standing up to her dad (who is an absolute arsehole) was long awaited, I felt like cheering. I was so emotionally drained after I'd finished this, but I want to read this again, and soon! It's not just about Audrey and Harry's relationship, the book is about so much more than that. You need to read this!

What have you been reading recently? Have you read any of these, what did you think?

Don't forget you can follow me on Bloglovin to stay up to date with new posts.
To check out my other monthly Book posts, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment